Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Holiday, Celebrate!

Easter was last weekend, and with my family, any holiday means good food!  Whenever a holiday rolls around, it's either my responsibility or my sister's to bring the salad.  And not just any salad, taboulli salad.  This recipe was passed down from my Great Aunt Mary and has surely made it to our table every holiday you can imagine.  


As a heads up, while it's really easy to make, it includes a lot of food prep so it can take awhile to assemble.


Salad:
lettuce (I used Romaine, but you can use whatever you want)
diced green pepper
skinned & diced cucumber
diced radishes
diced green onions 
parsley (I put it through my food processor)
diced tomatoes (I actually just cut cherry tomatoes in half)




Bulgur Wheat:
It seems like every time I'm cooking for a party, I find myself strapped for time.  The nice thing about the bulgur wheat is that you can cook it the night before, cover it, and store it in the fridge until assembly time.


1 part bulgur wheat  (typically 1 cup)
1 part boiling water (typically 1 cup)


Boil the water, add bulgur wheat, remove from heat, cover and let rest for 45 minutes.  Once the salad is assembled, sprinkle over the salad and toss.


Salad Dressing:
The longer it sits in the refrigerator the better it will taste.  Again, this is a good thing to make the night before.  This dressing is the best part of this whole salad!


1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 EVOO
fresh basil (I use a lot, but I love basil...)
4 cloves fresh garlic (through a garlic press)
S&P




Serve it up!
Isn't it pretty?  I love serving it because it's so rich in color and overall pretty healthy.  ENJOY 


No comments:

Post a Comment