Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Smoothie operator...

One of my newest addictions is my morning smoothie.  In Chicago, they have Jamba Juice.  In Cleveland, they have Robeks.  Both are delish - neither are as delicious as what I make at home...and for half the price!  Our blender was one of those wedding gifts I registered for, received, and then rarely ever used.  The most use it got was when I was preggo and had cravings for peanut butter, banana milkshakes (uh, yum!).  


It all started last summer when a friend of mine hopped in the car with a home-made smoothie and I thought, "What an excellent idea!"  From there, my smoothies have been comprised of different ingredients, but this is my most recent success:


1 whole banana
1-2 handfuls fresh spinach
6-8 raspberries (black or red)
2-3 chunks of pineapple (fresh or frozen)
1 handful of blueberries (hello antioxidants!!)
1 cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt
a splash of cranberry or orange juice
1 handful of ice


Can it get much healthier than this?  Here's the best part - you can't taste the spinach AT ALL.  I was nervous when I first started adding spinach to this recipe b/c I thought it might make it a little bitter, or that I'd have spinach chunks in the smoothie.  Nope.  It's still citrusy and super tasty.  




Side note: I feel like I've heard and read a lot about flax seed lately.  I tried adding them to my smoothie a couple of times...and they add a bit of a nuttier taste than I'd really like.  But it's all personal preference!

No comments:

Post a Comment