Friday, April 6, 2012

TJ's

I am a shopper.  No, wait...I'm a bargain shopper.  Even with groceries.  I think people mistakenly compare Trader Joe's prices to Whole Foods.  Wrong-O.  Trader Joe's is super affordable and I think their produce is better than Giant Eagle.  My friends and family always ask what my staple TJ items are...Ask, and you shall receive!  But first, let me give you four reasons to hit this place up:


1. It's inexpensive!  Think I'm lying?  Their dried spices (basil, oregano, sesame seeds, cumin, etc.) are only $1.99.  No joke, they go up to $7 a bottle at some stores.


2. Their staff is super friendly.  I'm pretty sure they are all hippies that smoke it up in the back...high or not, they always answer my questions.  Yep, I'm the person who asks questions at the grocery store!


3. They have a great selection of seasonal fruits & veggies.  And a great beer & wine section.


4. I don't typically buy frozen meals (hello, I'm blogging about food...I love to cook), BUT their freezer section has tasty, healthy options.  When I check the ingredients, they don't include foods that I've never heard of or can't pronounce.



Above:
Asparagus, Eggplant, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Ginger Root, Frozen Pineapple, Frozen Strawberries, Frozen Raspberries, Shallots, Vegetable Chips, Bananas

Above:
Taco Shells, Snapea Crisps, Basil, Garlic Powder, Dijon Mustard, Clif Bars, Sliced Almonds & Pine Nuts

Above:
Quinoa, Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, Turkey Meatballs, Tahini Paste, Fresh Mozzarella, Potato Bites

Just a couple of notes on some items above:

Ginger root - Scary looking!  A good friend of mine sent me some "juicing" recipes that include ginger root...I'm dying to try them out.  
Pinenuts - I love pine nuts, especially in my stromboli and pesto pasta.
Clif Bars - Of course Dr. Oz just did a snippet about how protein bars aren't good for you, but I happen to love the crunchy peanut butter Clif Bar.  And, it's nice to snack on when I'm driving in the mornings.
Quinoa - All the rage these days.  This one has zucchini and sweet potatoes in it.  Highly, highly recommend!
Tahini Paste - I'm amped up to make my own hummus this weekend!
Frozen Fruit - If I made a new years resolution this year, it is to not waste food.  I hate throwing away fruits & vegetables b/c they've gone bad sitting in my freezer.  Frozen fruit & veggies are just as nutritious and last way longer.  

A couple of other items that I did not pick up because I already have stocked at home are:

Shelled Edamame - Add to any stir fry or Asian lettuce wraps for extra protein.
Everything Pretzel Chips - They're like eating an everything bagel.  Need I say more?
Trek Mix - Individually packaged.  These are great if you pack your lunch everyday.

So there you go!  I could spend hours in this store, so go when you have some free time.  If you don't have a Trader Joe's near you, try Mustard Seed in Fairlawn.  It's a bit pricier, but they have a lot of all natural, organic items to choose from.  

No comments:

Post a Comment